- About TCF
- TCF Donor Stories
- Gift Options
- Create a Fund
- Legacy Society
- Latest News
- Community Engagement
- TCF Grantee Stories
- Workshops & Seminars
- TCF Research Reports
- Resource Library
- Affiliated Community Foundations
- Toledo Community Venture Partners
- Center for Individual and Family Philanthropy
- Center for Corporate Philanthropy
- Center for Nonprofit Resources
- Center for Private & Family Foundations
- Professional Advisors
TCF Awards Nearly $450,000 in Grants from the ProMedica Advocacy Fund
TOLEDO, OHIO, May 14, 2012 – The Board of Trustees of Toledo Community Foundation, Inc., in conjunction with the Advocacy Committee of ProMedica, recently approved grants totaling $447,280 from the ProMedica Advocacy Fund to 17 area nonprofit organizations.
ProMedica created a donor advised fund, the ProMedica Advocacy Fund of the Toledo Community Foundation, to be used for charitable purposes. A request for proposals was offered to nonprofit organizations located in and providing services for residents of ProMedica’s 27-county service area whose programs provide food, clothing and shelter services that support the health and well-being of individuals and/or families.
The following grants have been awarded to support these organizations’ programs:
• Area Office on Aging of Northwestern Ohio – awarded $65,000 to support the home delivered meal program.
• Beach House Family Shelter – awarded $25,000 to support a financial assistance program.
• Cherry Street Mission Ministries – awarded $75,000 to support operations of the South Toledo Community Center.
• Communities in Schools of Lenawee County, Inc. – awarded $4,300 for the Lenawee Urban Exchange, a clothing closet for students.
• Defiance County Senior Services Auxiliary – awarded $25,000 for enhancements to the senior meal program.
• FOCUS – awarded $12,500 toward the purchase of new furniture for families.
• Friendly Center, Inc. – awarded $40,000 to collaborate with Martin Luther King Kitchen for the Poor to improve and expand food services.
• Geary Family YMCA – awarded $45,000 for the Fostoria Food Connections Program, which provides weekend meals for children.
• Habitat for Humanity of Lenawee County – awarded $10,000 to support a home renovation for a family in need of safe, affordable housing.
• Legal Aid of Western Ohio – awarded $25,000 for legal services for clients.
• Mobile Meals of Toledo – awarded $15,000 to support the Weekender Program, which provides weekend meals for children.
• Specialized Alternatives for Families and Youth of Ohio, Inc. – awarded $2,500 to purchase food for the Safe Harbor shelter.
• St. Vincent de Paul Society, Fostoria, OH – awarded $15,000 for the basic needs assistance program.
• Sylvania Area Family Services, Inc. – awarded $28,000 to support the Weekend Backpack Program, which provides weekend meals for children.
• The Salvation Army – Hillsdale – awarded $15,000 for food assistance programs.
• Toledo Day Nursery – awarded $14,980 to support kitchen renovations.
• YMCA of Greater Toledo – awarded $30,000 to support summer meal programming.
“As a mission-driven, nonprofit healthcare system, we recognize the link between basic food, clothing and shelter needs and citizen’s health and well-being. We are pleased to assist these local organizations as they strive to provide resources to those families and individuals in our community that are struggling,” states Randy Oostra, president and chief executive officer, ProMedica.
Contact: Joanne Olnhausen
Toledo Community Foundation